Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Perfect numbers, Erdös, and me

Good news and bad news.

Bad news first: Brenden is feeling sick, so he can’t go to the museum he was going to blog about.
(And, he chooses to write in the third person for his intro).

Good news: that means Brenden’s blog post will be all about math. Hooray!

We started off class today with more discussion about multiplicative functions. And, we were introduced to Euler’s phi function, which counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to n which are relatively prime to n.

In the afternoon, we were treated to a mathematical lecture about number theory, by Csaba Szabo.



We first learned about perfect numbers. These are positive integers whose proper positive divisors add up to themselves. (So 6 is a perfect number, since 1,2, and 3 are the proper divisors of 6 and 1+2+3 = 6.) Mathematicians don’t know how many of these perfect numbers there are, but we do know that every even perfect number must be a function of a related Mersenne prime. We also don’t know if there are any odd perfect numbers. That’s the thing about number theory - we can ask questions that are either really easy or really hard to prove!

Speaking of proofs, the class also learned about Paul Erdös and his Book.

Paul Erdös was probably the most famous Hungarian mathematician who ever lived. He was an eccentric genius who firmly believed that math ought to be a social activity - that’s why he worked with over 500 different people to publish tons of math papers. He often said that God (who Erdös called the Supreme Fascist) has a Book that contains the most elegant proofs to intriguing math questions. We saw some of these proofs in class and in the lecture. In the past, students who took this class got to see a documentary about Erdös. Maybe we will too, huh?


Well, that’s it for now. While Aaron, Tor, and Paul do homework, I’m going to lay in bed and pray to the Supreme Fascist for some relief from this sickness. Ta ta for now!

-Brenden 

2 comments:


  1. contact chauphampham42@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +1 (816) 200-2774‬
    Hello everyone,
    Have you ever needed an expert when it comes to hacking?
    Have you ever wanted to hack someone’s email account?
    Recover lost accounts, school grade, boost credit score?
    Do you need to find a person’s sensitive information?
    Do you want to invade a person’s PayPal, Skrill, Amazon, Facebook or any other site account?
    Upgrade of University Grades, Password and email Retrieval,
    phone Lines monitoring, Skype Accounts, Hack Social Network, Trace calls on real-time
    conversations,
    Remove Criminal Records,
    Credit Fixing, cyber-crime investigation,
    Hack Bank Accounts, Identification of Cheating
    Partner or employee, Then contact chauphampham42@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +1 (816) 200-2774‬ best hacker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Thomas Yi from the United States. I started playing lottery games 3 years ago and I have never won big. I went online to seek help on how I can win big in my lottery games and I saw some nice reviews about Dr Amber who has made different people huge winners in their lottery games with his prayers. I gave it a try and I contacted Dr Amber who told me how and what to do before I can become a big lotto winner and I accepted. He made special prayers for me at his temple and gave me the required numbers to play the lotto game and when I played it, I won a massive $235.4 million POWERBALL jackpot. I was so happy and I chose to receive my winnings in a one-time, lump-sum payment of $160,038,447.27 at Florida Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee and the balance was given to the store that I bought & played the game from. I would love other people to seek help from him and he can be contacted through WhatsApp/call/text via this number +1 (406) 646-2222 or email on: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Jo Ejszakat Budapestrol!  The time has flown by and  our time in Budapest has com to and end.  Yesterday the students completed the final ...